The application of Cuminum cyminum or Cumin Seed can be noticed in the cuisines of Latin American, Asian and African countries. Known for its distinctive aroma, this spice is preferred for its numerous medicinal properties like diuretic, digestive, antibacterial and antiseptic characteristics.
The seed of cumin is the huge source of nutrients like minerals, vitamins, dietary fiber, protein, fatty acids and fat.Health Benefits
Application of Cumin Seed
- Cuminaldehyde compound present in its seed extracted essential oil is effective in improving digestive function by activating salivary gland. Its thymol content is instrumental in stimulating secretion of digestive enzymes and acids. The carminative properties of cumin help to alleviate gas disorder.
- The anti microbial, antifungal and carminative attributes of cumin help to treat constipation.
- This spice is effective in reducing the chance of diabetes.
- The essential oil of cumin helps to lower anxiety and stress for curing insomnia.
- The disinfectant and caffeine content of cumin relieves respiratory disorders.
- Its vitamin C content is instrumental in strengthening immune system. Its anti viral properties keep common cold at bay.
- Its iron content is effective in raising milk secretion rate in lactating women and in generation of red blood cells for preventing anemia.
- The high iron content of this spice is also beneficial for improving cognitive behavior and in minimizing the possibility of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vitamin E content of cumin helps to delay aging of skin by inhibiting sagging skin, fine lines and age spots. Enriched with detoxifying factors like phosphorous and thymol, the seed of cumin helps to flushes out toxin from body. Moreover, its anti fungal attributes keeps skin protected against infections.
- Its anti carcinogenic attributes help to minimize the possibility of colon cancer.
- Apart from cooking, cumin is used as aphrodisiac and also as flavor enhancing agent in desserts and beverages.
- Its therapeutic properties are useful for curing inflammation, diarrhea and gas.
- The essential oil of cumin is used to formulate cosmetic items.