Fenugreek seed is also referred as Greek hay and this herb is classified under pea family. Its dried seed has slight pungent taste and nice aroma when cooked. The application of its paste form on skin helps to cure inflammation. The extract of its seed is also used to formulate cosmetic items and personal care products like soap. It is enriched with nutrients like copper, protein, carbohydrate, fat, phosphorous, magnesium, iron and calorie.
The seeds of fenugreek are acknowledged for their high therapeutic value since ancient era. Apart from cooking, its seed is the effective medicine for a number of ailments.
- The seed of fenugreek is the wonderful remedy for various digestive disorders and constipation.
- It is also beneficial for heart as it helps to normalize high cholesterol level. For diabetic persons, it assists in normalizing blood sugar.
- Due to its anti inflammatory properties, this seed is used as a part of ulcerative colitis diet based therapeutic plan. These attributes of fenugreek are also beneficial for alleviating inflammation caused by kidney disorders, bronchitis, mouth ulcers and so on.
- As per study, the seeds of fenugreek slow down sugar absorbing capacity of stomach to produce insulin.
- The anti oxidant attributes of its seeds helps to alleviate arthritis.
- Fenugreek is also known for its aphrodisiac characteristics.
- It also helps to improve lactation rate in breastfeeding women.
- Fenugreek is a reliable remedy for internal inflammation caused by leg ulcers, gout and eczema.
- The extracts of its seed is effective in controlling eating disorders and in regulating secretion of metabolic enzymes.
- As per clinical reports, the seed of fenugreek is effective in strengthening body and ensuring overall health.
- Direct application of fenugreek on skin may cause skin irritation.
- Expecting mothers should take special care prior to its usage to avoid possible health hazards.
- Its seed may sometimes lead to bloating, gas and diarrhea.
- Persons taking blood thinning drugs or are suffering from blood related complications are advised not to include fenugreek in their diet.